Felting a Nuno Scarf
Materials fee: $35 (for silk chiffon, merino wool and dye)
Explore a new painting medium! Learn how to felt a Nuno Scarf with merino wool on silk chiffon fabric that can be used as a canvas for painting on with wool dyes. I will demonstrate how to create a variety of scarf designs that include learning how to piece silk and create holes. Paint it as if you were creating a watercolour.
You will learn how to paint in layers and set them using a microwave. Understand how dyes work on dry and wet backgrounds and how wool and silk absorb the dye differently. Come with an idea or create spontaneously.
Laurie has been working with wool dyes for 14 years. You will earn how to felt by hand with tips and techniques that will make the felting process as easy and fast as possible.
Materials to bring:
• 2 clear plastic lawn bags
• dish gloves or disposable gloves
• 1 old towel
• 1 large water colour and/or acrylic paint brush
• jars or containers to mix and hold dyes in; best if these are microwave safe
• 1 large yogurt type container for keeping the paint brush clean with water between dye colours
• fabric scissors
• olive oil soap bar or dish soap
• white vinegar to set dyes
• spray bottle for hot soapy water